Tuesday 14 June 2016

Pressures of Presenting

Going through university and then onto a PhD giving presentations is inevitable. Now I can’t say I love them but having done so many I have come to fear them less. I thought I would share some wisdom and my experience of giving presentations. The do’s and don’ts that I have learned on my journey through university.



These are just a few ideas and advice that have helped me. Everyone is different.

Content
Try and keep the amount of writing on presentation slides to a minimum. A full on paragraph can be very daunting to the audience and they will be less likely to read it all. I have often found that bullet points work better and remember not everything you say needs to be written down. There should be a balance between what is on the slide and what you say, the audience should be listening to you. Any images and graphs should be clear and explained clearly so the listener understands the point you are conveying.

Time Keeping
Most presentations you will give will come with a time limit. Don’t fret too much over this. It is a guideline to how much content you should cover and the number of slides to use. A 10 minute presentation? Say 10-12 slides or so. Also don’t practice and practice your presentation to ensure it lasts for the time allocated as most likely you will speak at a different pace on the day. Don’t worry if you are a minute below or over just don’t turn a short presentation into an hour long lecture.

Preparation
The right level of preparation is key. I’ve spent countless hours in the past obsessing over a script of what to say and when to say it. Writing speeches and perfecting them might seem like a good idea until after you have finished your presentation and you realize you have missed something out. At this point I beat myself up about it but in reality the people listening don’t know that you forgot to say something. I find understanding the points you want to make the most important thing. If you understand then the words will come when the slide appears. Of course writing down a few extra details is still a good idea but try to avoid writing a speech.

Questions
These can really throw people off. It is something that you can only prepare so much for as you cannot predict what will be asked. My best advice? Don’t stress too much. The main reason you will get asked a question is because the audience is interested and wants to know more. Take pride in that. Remember no one knows more about your presentation than you do. Most importantly though is it is okay to say “I don’t know”. Now I have to admit I struggle with this because I hate admitting to not knowing something however it is better than mumbling incoherently something which does not make sense. I was presenting yesterday and I can honestly I had to answer a question with 'I don't know' and the world did not end.

Confidence
Do what works. I like to hold something to stop me talking with my hands so much. A pen or some paper they act like a comfort blanket. If you are confident then you will project and carry your presentation perfectly. Remember everyone you are speaking to have been where you are and most likely felt the same as you. They can empathize.

Outfit
This is not the most important point but you don’t want to be worrying about trivial matters on top of your presentation. I’ve stood in front of an audience thinking more about whether or not my bra is showing than what my next slide contains. That was not the best talk I have ever given. My advice is to wear something comfortable and exudes confidence. Trousers/jeans and a blouse or shirt is perfect.

My last piece of advice is BREATH.

Do you have any more advice for presenting? Any good or bad experiences?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
SHARE:

26 comments

  1. I'm all about timekeeping! I find my phone a godsend when prepping a speech or presentation - being able to listen back and critique really helps me to polish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eye contact is great if presenting to small groups, and smiling too - it helps you look confident and approachable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Presenting still scares the crap out of me! I did a drama degree, and while acting as someone else didn't make me particularly nervous, presenting as ME is still something that I struggle with. Love your tips!

    Milly | Mini Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate presenting so much. In all these years I still haven't gotten any better at it. Great tips!

    Tara | www.cattitudeandco.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never really been fussed about presentations - as long as you're familiar with what you're presenting, it'll be fine! Confidence is definitely the key :)

    Jess xo | The Indigo Hours

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oohh I don't think I would like presenting, these sound like fab tips :) H x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Presenting sounds horrendous. I live stream on Twitch but I don't consider it to be presenting in anyway. I don't think I could handle the pressure of full on presenting but these tips do sound very useful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to be a teacher and a trainer and you have some excellent points here. It's your presentation, have confidence in it and own it and you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to (and still do) hate presentations because I hate talking in front of people, it completely freaks me out. Eye contact is a great tip though x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great advice. I'd also add eye contact and a bit of humour to this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These tip sounds very useful and helpful for many, I am not very good at presenting I must admit! It's weird I can sing and never gets nervous but talking infront of people is a hassle. haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's the 6P's of presenting that are key; Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

    A lot of presentation nerves can be combatted with this list, it's definitely a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am really rubbish at standing in front of an audience and presenting. I remember I had to do it a few times in college and school, I was the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips, I hated presenting anything at all at uni.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great tips! i get really really nervous and start stuttering my words as well as folding paper. the latter happens every time whether I'm nervous or not lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm actually not that bad at public speaking - I used to be a teacher, so I guess that helps! Preparation is definitely important, as long as you don't spend too long obsessing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sometimes do classes but in a small group of students only. Preparation and Confidence are the keys! :) These are all essential points though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Presenting always made me super nervous I hated it but its definitely a good idea to be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some great tips here. I nearly stopped studying for my BSc because I had to do an oral presentation and I was that terrified of doing it! I kept going though, did it, and graduated with a First Class Honours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have a dummy run - to your mates, your parents, the cat. I used to work for a law firm and lawyers were always expected to have a dummy run in front of the partners - who would take pleasure in lobbing out the trickiest questions they could come up with - but once the lawyers had dealt with their senior partners, they weren't afraid of the real audience any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are some great tips I always hate doing presentations but these would help me feel prepared and ready xx

    Miss Kitty Kaos - Adventures Of A Riot Grrrl

    ReplyDelete
  22. Eekk good luck with your presentations - I have to admit I am awful at any sort of public speaking. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. No matter how I try, I just can't seem to get with public speaking. Even if I have to introduce myself in a group setting, it's torture for me. I think I'll give up on it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hate it so much that I just cannot do it without having a panic attack :( x

    ReplyDelete
  25. When I give presentations I faff with my hands, so bluetac is my new friend which I roll in my fingers x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE presenting - I used to do it for my job as a trainer so am well used to it. I love your tips and agree that outfit is not the most important but as long as you feel comfortable it works. I would add the first introduction slide to the end of the presentation too as there is nothing more distracting when you are taking questions at the end, than seeing your last slide.

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig